Using a slow cooker is a great way to prepare healthy meals in large amounts quickly and easily making it an excellent choice for the busy work week! You can save leftovers for later on in the week or freeze in individual glass containers for a super-fast nutritious meal anytime.
This week’s recipe will warm you up and fill you up with plenty of protein, fiber and phytonutrients including the powerhouse antioxidant, anthocyanin. Anthocyanin lends a blue or purple color to foods and is found in black beans, blueberries, blackberries, purple grapes and red/purple cabbage.
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time10 hr
- Total Time10 hr 10 min
- Energy190 cal
- 8 oz (1 cup) of dried black beans
- 8 oz (1 cup) of dried kidney beans
- 8 oz (1 cup) of dried white or cannellini beans
- 4 Leeks
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red, green, orange or yellow pepper
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers (more as desired for spicy flavor)
- ¼ tsp chipotle spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dried wheat berries (substitute quinoa for gluten free)
- 26 oz (3 cups) of crushed or strained tomatoes (look for one in box or glass jar, not a can)
- ¼ tsp sea or Himalayan salt (to taste)
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 1 avocado
- Optional: Parsley for garnish
Rinse dried beans then soak overnight in slow cooker (do not heat slow cooker, just cover). To make morning prep fast, chop veggies (onion, peppers, garlic, leeks, kale) the night before and store in the refrigerator.
The next morning, drain and rinse dried beans. Add olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker, then add beans, chopped onions, peppers, garlic, leeks, kale, water, tomato, spices, wheat berries. Add additional water or tomato sauce as needed to fully cover the beans and veggies in the crock pot, up to the “fill line”.
Set slow cooker to high for 6 hours – then re-set to high for 4 hours or cook on low for 10-12 hours if you won’t be home during the day.
Chop avocado and serve on chili as a garnish with parsley.
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat4.5 g5.77%
- Sodium280 mg12.17%
- Total Carbohydrate33 g12%
- Dietary Fiber8 g28.57%
- Total Sugars4 g
- Protein8 g16%