When it comes to eating raw kale (Tuscan cabbage), you either love it or hate it. But this salad may change the minds of those who don’t like it too much into an “I love it!” I know it did for me. I used to only consume kale in green juices, as kale chips, blended in my favorite smoothie, or simply sauteed in a pan with a little coconut oil. Raw was not my thing. The Tahini-Lemon Dressing marinates the kale to wilt perfectly giving it a softer consistency.
This salad is loaded with a variety of nutrients, not only from the kale but from all of the other goodies added to make it delightfully delicious and colorful.
- Prep Time20 min
- Total Time20 min
- Yield4 servings
- Energy540 cal
- 1 large head of kale, leaves only (save stems for juicing)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin circles
- 1 handful dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 small box chopped grape tomatoes (or other variety)
- 1 large handful goji berries
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts* I normally only need to use about 3/4 of the kale bunch and I save the extra leaves for a juice or smoothie the next morning.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh lemon juice from 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or a bit more, to taste
- 2-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Pinch of sea salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp water
Tear the leaves off of the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry kale leaves then add to large salad bowl.
Chop vegetables and mix with kale in the large salad bowl. Sprinkle hemp seeds and walnuts on salad right before serving to avoid sogginess.
Add all ingredients for the dressing into a food processor or high-powered blender and process until smooth.
Mix the vegetables, kale leaves, and full batch of dressing (3/4-1 cup) in the bowl until thoroughly combined.
Place in fridge to ‘marinate’ for 10-15 minutes.
additions & substitutions
Weight Loss & Lifestyle Program:
Add in one of the following lean proteins/serving:
- Add 3-4 oz chicken, meat, or tofu
- Add 4-6 oz fish or shellfish
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat33 g42.31%
- Trans Fat4.5 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium80 mg3.48%
- Total Carbohydrate54 g19.64%
- Dietary Fiber10 g35.71%
- Total Sugars30 g
- Protein15 g30%